Local WUN contact
Established in 1976, Maastricht University (UM) is the most international university in the Netherlands. With almost 16,000 students and 4,000 staff, UM offers a wide choice of bachelor’s, master’s and PhD programmes, all of which are designed to bring out the best in its students.
Maastricht University is renowned for excellence and innovation in learning. High rankings in Dutch and international league tables attest to its focus on quality.
UM is a bilingual (Dutch & English) university. It offers a wide range of programmes with a strong international and European orientation, most of which are taught in English. Almost half of the student population and a third of staff is non-Dutch.
Each faculty at UM has international partnerships and student exchange agreements, and interdisciplinary and international collaboration is encouraged. UM has recently launched an 'International Classroom Development' programme to reinforce the skills of students to succeed in the international labour market.
Problem-Based Learning (PBL) clearly illustrates Maastricht University’s innovative character. PBL is more than just acquiring knowledge; it’s about exchanging knowledge in a challenging and effective way. Students not only learn the content of their field, but they also acquire competencies in cooperation, leadership and research, by giving presentations, offering feedback, and discussing and analysing problems.
UM is continually working to further strengthen its position as a research university. UM has established a number of research institutes and focuses on multidisciplinary, interfaculty research in: Learning and Innovation, Quality of Life, and Europe and a Globalising World. As an international network university, UM has an ingrained culture of collaboration within and between departments, as well as with external institutes, businesses and social organisations in the Netherlands and abroad.
UM has five major campus initiatives in the Netherlands and Brussels and one overseas office in India, aiming to enhance its international appeal for top scientific talent, and foster additional opportunities for research funding:
- The Maastricht Inner-City Campus: combines faculties with a strong focus on immediate and long term societal issues.
- The Maastricht-Randwyck Campus: combines faculties with a strong health and medical focus. The Campus also houses the Maastricht Health Campus - a hotspot for medical biotechnology for life sciences and health; and Brains Unlimited which focuses on groundbreaking brain research, both fundamental and applied.
- The Chemelot Campus in Sittard-Geleen: an open innovation campus specialising in chemistry and bio-based materials.
- Campus Venlo: designed to integrate the development of the province of Limburg with the Euregion and the international economy, through partnerships with companies in the region and industrial and agribusiness research.
- Campus Brussels: opened in 2010, brings high quality post-academic courses to professionals who are active in the European and/or Brussels arena.
- Maastricht Education and Research Centre Pvt Ltd (MERC Pvt Ltd), Bangalore, incorporated in 2009: develops research lines and collaboration initiatives specifically in the area of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences both in India and Maastricht.